Domestic Violence Support Groups
• Domestic violence support groups are being formed. For more information, call the Women’s Shelter – The Purple Door Outreach Office in Alice, Texas at 664-8598.
Program for Victims of Crime
• Confidential services for victims in Hidalgo, Cameron, Willacy, Starr, Brooks, Jim Hogg, Zapata, Duval, Jim Wells and Kleberg counties. Contact Cynthia Arevalo at 361-325-5604 ext. 5. For victims who have been affected by violent crimes.
• NOAH meetings 2nd Tuesday of each month at 6:15pm at First United Methodist Church in Alice opposite the Post Office, use the First Street entrance.
Alice Town Landfill Hours
• The Town of Alice landfill will begin accepting waste from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday, 8 am to noon on Saturday. Waste from the public will cease to be accepted at 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday and 11:30 a.m. on Saturday. The Alice Town Landfill sign will also be revised to reflect changes to the waste acceptance hours posted by the landfill.
Help for migrants
• Teaching and Mentoring Communities (Migrant Head Start) provide services for children from 6 weeks to school age, providing education, special needs, health, nutrition, social, transportation and parental involvement. Contact Alice’s office at 1200 S. Texas Blvd., 361-668-0462 or toll-free at 1-888-838-5151 for more information.
• Al-Anon will resume in-person meetings Thursday, August 4 at 7:00 p.m. at 200 N Wright Advent Church. Enter 2nd Street through the gate. First door on the right. Al-Anon is for family and friends of alcoholics.
Search for volunteers
• Corpus Christi’s Odyssey HealthCare, a hospice, is looking for volunteers in the Alice area. All training will take place at Alice. Call Sandra Brown at 361-992-2700 for more information.
• The CHRISTUS Spohn Hospice and Palliative Care program is looking for volunteers to visit terminally ill patients, provide respite for caregivers and run errands for area families. Call Volunteer Coordinator Susana Beltran at 361-994-3450 or 800-371-0115 for more information.
Zonal Agency on Aging
• The Regional Agency on Aging is looking for outgoing volunteers to advocate and recruit advocates for nursing home residents. Call 1-800-817-5743 for more information.
• Need to talk to a licensed professional counselor about your issues, but don’t have the money to pay the fees? The First United Methodist Church offers church counseling services for the whole family, addressing many areas of concern. To make an appointment, contact Richard Sanchez at 361-442-3670.
Make for lesser ministries
• Doing for the Least Ministries offers Christian counseling and mentoring. Private counseling and encouragement is available for anyone with behavioral, addiction and health issues. This ministry is involved in rest homes and health facilities. Individual tours and Bible groups are also held weekly at these facilities. Visits are also carried out for the relatives of people in health establishments and those with behavioral problems and addictions. Sunday night home fraternity begins at 6 p.m. at 3363 North Highway 281, Lot 16 North of Alice. For more information, contact Ronnie Talbert at 361-331-0824 or www.doingfortheeast. com.
Connect children to coverage
• Connect Kids to Coverage campaign to apply for affordable or free health, dental and vision insurance. CHIP and Medicaid on-site assistance at 1-855-727-3647. Locations in Alice, Sinton, Laredo, Falfurrias and Corpus Christi.
ASAC Volunteer Training
• Brush Country CASA hosts free CASA Volunteer training classes every second Wednesday of the month from 12-12:45 pm at the Alice Chamber of Commerce. Contact the CASA office at 595-7233, email: [email protected] or
visit: www.brushcountrycasa. org.
• Spaulding for Children, a free adoption agency, seeks loving families to adopt children with special needs. For more information, call 361-850-8200 or visit www. spauldingforchildren.org.
Help for victims
• Help for Victims is a Duval County District Attorney’s Office program designed to help families and victims of domestic violence. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, help is available and can be found at the Duval Courthouse in San Diego, Texas. Call 279-6223. All services are confidential.
• This free course is open to the public so come or bring your loved one. September programming, Meridian Care of Alice. “SeniorFitToday” would like to invite you to “Get Fit Where You Sit”. Tuesdays at 10:30 am located at Alice’s Meridian Care.
Foreign War Veterans
• VFW Auxiliary 8621 will hold its monthly meeting to be held the 2nd Thursday of the month at VFW Post 8621 located at 2300 N. Texas Blvd, Alice. All members are welcome.
• VFW Post 8621 will host a monthly meeting every 2nd Thursday of the month at VFW Post 8621 located at 2300 N. Texas Blvd, Alice. All members are welcome.
• Alice AA meetings will be Zoom meetings Monday through Thursday. Call Roland at 361-389-6195 for ID and password. All meetings at 7 p.m.
Alice’s Farmer’s Market
• Alice’s Farmer’s Market is held every second Saturday of the month in the Sutherlands car park from 9am to 1pm. For more information, call 361-455-1662.
Alice VFW Bingo
• Alice VFW Post 8621 bingo every Wednesday night. Doors open at 6 p.m. Each person present must purchase a $10 package to enter the bingo room. Children under the age of 6 are not permitted without the Bingo Chairman’s approval. No table reservation. Masks are recommended. No outside food or drink is permitted.
Crisis Line for Veterans
• The Veterans Affairs Crisis Line connects veterans in crisis, their families and friends with trained and caring Veterans Affairs counselors through a confidential toll-free telephone line, online chat or SMS. Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and press 1, chat or text 838255 to receive confidential assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Support for the deaf and hard of hearing is available.