A new certificate course offered by Srikant Datar, Dean of Harvard Business School, is now available on Harvard Business School Online, titled Design Thinking and Innovation.
This course will help leaders be more inventive and creative when it comes to strategic initiatives and problem solving.
During his more than 25 years at the faculty, Datar, Professor of Administration George F. Baker, held numerous leadership positions at Harvard Business School and Harvard University, including serving at Harvard Innovation Labs.
He was appointed dean in January 2021 and was recently awarded the Padma Shri Prize, India’s highest civilian honor, which recognizes leaders for their distinguished service.
According to Datar, âBusiness leaders must prioritize experimentation and constant iteration to effectively solve business problems in a consumer-centric manner. I hope this course will help business leaders think more creatively, so that they are in a better position to achieve the highest levels of success for themselves and their organizations. Design Thinking and Innovation is designed for professionals at all levels of management and will teach them the principles of entrepreneurial design thinking and the cognitive frameworks they can leverage to guide their organizations through strategic development and complex business challenges. .
The course combines conceptual thinking with organized approaches to ideation, such as task unification, subtraction, and attribute dependence, to help students overcome common mental blocks to creativity and improve attributes of their ideas to better respond to customers’ value propositions. It will help students develop stronger strategies, products and teams, as well as create an environment conducive to innovation and collaboration.
“We are delighted that Dean Datar has chosen to create this course, and we know that our learners will benefit immensely from the innovative approach he brings to research and from his vast experience,” said Patrick Mullane, Executive Director of HBS Online. “This is particularly exciting because innovation in online education is one of his most important priorities in leading HBS into this new era.”
In Design Thinking and Innovation, professionals will learn to: * Approach problems using structured approaches to gather observations, break cognitive fixity and generate ideas for solutions
* Apply creative problem solving and behavior change analysis to innovation development and internal team processes
* Develop a strategic innovation toolbox and learn when and how to apply conceptual thinking and innovative problem-solving tools and exercises
* Demonstrate empathy in the application of human-centered design techniques, such as user research, prototyping, and course mapping
* Evaluate group dynamics and improve team performance with tools and processes designed to improve collaboration and iteration in development
* Guide teams to draw on a wide range of experiences and professional backgrounds and create a stronger collaborative dynamic to strengthen innovation. Learners of all HBS Online courses immerse themselves in a unique learning model, which encourages debate and collaboration with hundreds of learners from around the world. Together, they solve real business problems and engage in an ongoing series of interactive exercises, including surveys, quizzes, short essays, and even role-plays with other participants.
Design Thinking and Innovation includes five weeks of coursework and two weeks of project work to enable participants to collaborate with their peers from around the world and put their learnings into practice.
Applications for Design Thinking and Innovation will be accepted until January 10, 2022 and the course will start on January 19, 2022.
(To receive our E-paper on WhatsApp daily, please Click here. We allow sharing of the article’s PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)
Posted on: Monday December 20, 2021 19:48 IST